Nakatomi Tower (from Josh Gates Tonight)
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1.5 oz Nankai Shochu
- 2 halves Apricots, peeled
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- ⅓ oz Yuzu Juice
- 1 oz Lemonade
- 3 pcs Luxardo Maraschino cherries
- 2 pcs Grapefruit
- Muddle apricots in shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice.
- Add shochu, simple syrup and yuzu.
- Shake well and strain over ice.
- Top with lemonade.
- Garnish with cherries and grapefruit.
The Discovery Channel’s late night talk show Josh Gates Tonight stealthily featured Nankai Shochu in a yuzu cocktail known as the Nakatomi Tower. We say stealthily since the program never shows the front of a brand’s bottle, but we’d recognize that back label anywhere.
In case you were wondering, Nakatomi Tower was the setting for the holiday movie Die Hard (did we just say something controversial?). The Nakatomi Tower cocktail includes Nankai Shochu, simple syrup, yuzu, apricots and a splash of lemonade for a refreshing drink, perfect for relaxing after a long night of battling terrorists.
To have shochu, especially Nankai Shochu, featured on a national television program is an honor and hopefully it will make more people curious about the category. You can watch the making of the cocktail in the Josh Gates Tonight clip below:
For more delicious Nankai Shochu cocktails, try these:
- Shochu Cocktail Recipe: Yuzu Pop
- Shochu Cocktail Recipe: Yuzu Martini
- Shochu Cocktail Recipe: Calamansi Highball
Featured cocktail photo credit is to the Discovery Channel.