This is part 2 of our feature on legendary Tokyo mixologist Shuzo Nagumo, and this time we feature his Trad Eggnog cocktail recipe.
We know it’s not exactly eggnog season, but we’re still on the Covid-19 lockdown in Los Angeles, CA on Easter Sunday. If like us, you have a bunch of eggs leftover, it’s a good excuse to make this delicious vanilla and black sugar eggnog.
Mr. Nagumo had conceived a series of cocktails designed to highlight Amami kokuto shochu, including our very own Nankai Gold. And they had filmed it as his iconic bar, Mixology Spirits Bang(k) in Tokyo, Japan. His recipe for an eggnog cocktail using Nankai Gold is not too boozy and instead focused more on enhancing the vanilla and black sugar notes.
His creation, “Trad Eggnog,” is described by Mr. Nagumo thus, “This is a supreme dessert cocktail with a lasting fragrance of vanilla from the barrel aged kokuto spirit. It can be served warm or cold. Sprinkle your favorite garnish, such as nutmeg, tonka beans, or coconut flakes.” While it is a complex cocktail recipe, you can marvel at his technique and precision in the video below:
Trad Eggnog by Shuzo Nagumo
- Milk Frother
- Boston Shaker
- 2 Mixing Glasses
- 30 ml Nankai Gold
- 1 Egg
- 15 ml Vanilla Syrup
- 30 ml Fresh Cream
- 1 dash Nutmeg Can also use tonka beans or coconut flakes.
- Separate egg into yolk and egg whites. Keep both in a separate mixing glass.
- Beat yolk in a mixing glass.
- Add vanilla syrup to yolk and continue mixing.
- Add Nankai Gold to yolk and use a milk frother to mix.
- Whip egg white into a nice foam with the milk frother.
- Add cream to yolk mixture. Stir.
- Pour yolk mixture into egg white foam.
- Pour combined mixture into Boston shaker with ice.
- Aerate the mixture by pouring from one half of shaker to other half.
- Pour into rocks glass and add single large ice cube.
For his other Nankai cocktail recipe, click here: “Yu-Wan” by Shuzo Nagumo