Vacuum-distilled smooth and made from premium black sugar, Nankai Shochu was made for cocktail pairing. The smooth, clean taste ensures that our shochu won’t overpower flavors. The black sugar distillate also enhances flavors so both the cocktail and the food pairing are elevated.
To demonstrate how perfect Nankai Shochu is for cocktail pairing, we partnered with Foodbeast and The Recess Room for an exclusive event.
One of the favorite cocktail pairings of the night was a bone marrow mac & cheese where the bone was used a luge for a Nankai Shot. The shochu would trickle down the bone, picking up bits of marrow and fat and transforming into an umami bomb. It’s an absolute must-try for any food and/or distilled spirits lover.
If you’re interested in trying the cocktail pairings yourself, The Recess Room will be offering the exquisite menu items through the end of the month (or by request).
Here is a list of the full menu and cocktail pairings:
- Chicken Fried Mushrooms – maitake mushroom, Louisiana hot sauce, house buttermilk sauce
- Wagyu “Poke” Tartare – American wagyu beef, shoyu, sesame oil, togarashi, Okinawa potato chips
- Paired With: The Olive Garden – Avocado-infused Nankai Shochu, olive brine, salt, celery
- Grilled Persimmon – avocado, fish sauce vinaigrette, shiso, sesame, coriander
- Lengua Loco Moco – Braise Beef Tongue, furikake rice, veal Demi – glace, quick pickled cucumbers, crunchy fried egg
- Paired With: The Ohana – Caramelized pineapple, vanilla, Rum, lime, Nankai Shochu, black strap bitter
- Pork Belly Smoky Risotto – Bulgar wheat risotto, smoked dashi, delicata squash, cumin carrot puree, pickled mustard seed
- Bone Marrow Mac n Cheese with a Nankai Shochu Bone Marrow Luge Shot – Bacon jam, mozzarella, Swiss, cheddar, gruyere, white parmesan
- Paired With: The Xocolate – Nankai Shochu, Sherry, Porto wine, Campari & xocolatl mole
- Duck Confit Noodles – Chinese five spice cured duck leg, soba noodles, bok choy, scorched rice tea
- Cowboy Steak – American Wagyu Bone-in Ribeye, ponzu butter, charred red onion, grilled cabbage, crispy potatoes
- Paired With: The Ugly Duckling – Sesame seed-infused Nankai Shochu, cold brew, orange juice, clove, lemon & nutmeg